Sunday, December 02, 2007

Open Letter to Miss Ryan

I know the doubts and uncertainty stuff is no fun for you to live through - but it *is* fun for me to watch. (Not that I enjoy watching you struggle - but I do like watching you grown up - and I'd say this is most definitely a "growing up" thing!)

Do you remember about this time last year - when you were contemplating Northwestern and I was encouraging you to go the liberal arts route? This is why.

It's cool that once upon a time you wanted to do music ed.
It's cool that you devoted yourself to it fully and chased that dream.
It's cool that you are changing your mind as new options become available.

You remind me of a line from the old Baz Luhrmann song - -
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

I'm glad that you've "resigned yourself" to just taking classes and learning stuff. College is all about trying new things - don't feel guilty for taking advantage of it! Everything you put into music is not wasted - it's made you the person you are and brought you to where you are today.
Major decisions (heehee a pun!) can wait until Fall 2008.
(And I promise your parents will love you, even if you don't get a music major. They might even love you if you went crazy and got a degree in something awful like accounting!)

Take Care Kido,
P.S. You were the first person to send me a Christmas Card (You Win!)
P.P.S. Someone from work went to your Christmas concert and reported back that it was fabulous! (Good Job!)