Sunday, October 07, 2007

Summer Booklist

I'm late in posting my summer readlist (call it denial - I'm not ready for summer to be over!) And so, without further ado . . .

FICTION
Dealing with Dragons Patricia C. Wrede
Found while randomly browsing the library. A nice little fairy tale style book (sort of in the style of Shrek)

Searching for Dragons Patricia C. Wrede
The sequel to Dealing with Dragons - there are a few more books in the series and it's light reading. I'll probably go through them all!

The Hound of the Baskervilles Arthur Conan Doyle and Sherlock holmes of Baker Street
I'm on a little bit of a Sherlock Holmes kick - this is good stuff and future lists will no doubt include more of Mr. Holmes's adventures!

Lions, tigers and bears
Read for work. It left much to be desired!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Really, I had no choice but to love it. Certinaly not the strongest book of the series, but a tidy end to 10 years worth of adventures.


NON-FICTION
Among School Children Tracy Kidder
This was a great little book that follows the school year of a teacher. Easy read and highly recommended!

A Treasury of Great American Scandals Farquhar, Michael
I found this at the library while searching for audio books narrated by Johnny Heller (because he does a pretty good job reading aloud!) I need to do more searches by reader!

Museum: Behind the scenes at the Metropolitan museum of Art Danny Danziger
Recommended by amazon (and avaliable at the library) this book was a gold mine of information. Basically a series of interviews with people who work at the Met. FASCINATING!

Mindset: Psychology of New Success
Recommended by a friend - interesting book (but if you read the first few chapters, you basically have the whole book).

Poetry in Urban Classrooms
Read for work - this book should really be titled "Poetry in One Urban Classroom"
It was not what I expected (and not very helpful with my work project)

Lewis & Clark The Journey of the Crop of Discovery Dayton Duncan
Audiobook based on the Ken Burns series - one of the readers is they fella who played Adam on Northern Exposure (It drove me crazy trying to figure out how I recognized his voiced!)

Teach like your hair's on fire Rafee
Rafe is recognized as one of the best teachers in the U.S. The book is an easy read and very interesting. (But falls short of making me want to go back into the classroom thankyouverymuch!)


RE-READS
Meet the Austins and A Ring of Endless Light Madeline L'Engle
No surprises here - these have become sort of my funeral books. There is something very comforting about the O'Keefe and Austin families that has a magnetic pull after a funeral. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
To refresh my memory while waiting for book 7!