Thursday, June 21, 2007

Book List Update

Non-Fiction
Squirrel Inc. : A Fable About Leadership Through Storytelling Denning, Stephen
A nice little book that puts puts steps and processes to stuff that really ought to come naturally.

A white teacher talks about race, Julie Landsman
There are a lot of times this book ticks me off, but Julie is a neat person and tells a good story. If you ever have a chance to hear her speak, go listen!

Better, Atul Gawande
I usually avoid the best-sellers/hyped up books, but this one intrigued me and my perfectionist self. Notes will be posted soon.

Welcome to the Episcopal Church, Christopher L. Webber
I went to a local Episcopal Church at Easter, was intrigued by everything I didn't know, and wanted to learn more.

Bringing Down the House: How Six Students Took Vegas for Millons, Ben Mezrich
My roommate recently introduced me to the television show Numb3rs - which now has me fascinated with mathematical applications. This book is interesting (although Numb3rs has more explosions and gunfights).

Biography
Teaching genius : Dorothy DeLay and the making of a musician, Barbara Lourie Sand
This has been on my To Read List for ages. Dorthy Delay is the violin teacher who taught Pearlman, Sarah Chang, and other famous fiddle-jocks.

Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul, Tony Hendra
I picked up this book expecting something along the lines of Cardinal Bernardin's Gift of Peace.
Alas, it is really a biogrpahy of Tony Hendra, and I felt a little cheated.

Girl Meets God, Lauren Winner
This was a re-read. I just wanted to look up one little quote, but then got sucked in and read the whole thing.

Dying for a Drink, Rev. Alex DeJong
This was an unlikely book for me, but I loved Rev. DeJong, and wanted to read his book. It was an interesting to read, and explains some of the attitudes and fears of those Dutch Reformed teetotallers.

Fiction
Izzy Willy Nilly, Cynthia Voigt
This is a re-read from high school (or maybe even junior high). It's been years since I read a Cynthia Voigt book, and it was a happy reunion!

Wind in the Willows, Keneth Graham
I'm still working my way through this one. I'm not sure why it's difficult for me to get into it.

Locked Rooms, Laurie King
I love the Mary Russell novels!

The other bolyn girl, Philippa Gregory
A couple of years ago I had a boss I didn't like. She recomended this book, which I'd ignored until I came across it in the library. It's hard to like a book recomended by an unliked boss.



Artemis Fowl the artic incident, and Artemis Fowl the eternity code, Eoin Colfer
The Artemis Fowl audiobooks (read by Nathaniel Parker) are great for long car trips, and good bedtime listening. Everyone should go listen to all of the books RIGHT NOW before the movie comes out and ruins it

The Thirteenth Tale Diane Setterfield
I'm not quite done with this one yet. The first few chapters were really engaging, but everything after that is a chore (and perhaps a waste of time). I'm not sure that I'll push myself to finish this one.

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
While randomly reading blogs, I came across a recomendation for this book - which is essentially a cheesy religious romance novel. But the story is so well told that I forgot it was a cheesy religious romance. This is one to re-read

Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Robert A. Heinlein
Another re-read. I'm not sure why I love this book, but it has drawn me in - highly recomended!