Thursday, May 03, 2007

Love This Video

The Emergents and the Evengelicals are having another blog-fight.
It looks a lot like every other blog fight they've ever had - with same people expressing the same opinions/insults from their last blog-fight (which was about the same issue).

Yawn.

Except this time someone made a video.
And while I don't want to join, contribute, engage, or otherwise acknowledge this so-called "conversation", the video is beautiful.



I grew up in a very conservative church - the kind of place where women did not even serve as ushers/greeters much less decons, elders, or pastors.
But that didn't bother me as much as the fact that I was never allowed to sit at the end of the pew. (Only men sat at the end of the pew, and I was well into my 20's before figuring out that this was supposed to be a polite/chiverlous thing)

In high school I went on a brief campaign to nominate a woman for consistory, but when I asked her permission, she quickly told me it was NOT a job she wanted. (Who can blame her? We all know that being on consistory is a suck-y job!)

I might have been in an ultra-conservative church, but (with the exception of not being able to sit at the end of a pew) I never felt put down because I was a girl. I'm fortunate to have had lots of strong female church role models (Diane, Mrs. Mooi, Sue, Mrs. Aggen, My Grandmothers, My Mom, Chris, Donna, Aunt Lynnie).