Friday, December 29, 2006

Sometime in the next hour Saddam Hussein will be hanged.
And this bothers me more than I can possibly describe.

* * *

For those of you who didn’t quite make it through all eight of L.M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables series – here’s a quick primer.

Anne Shirley eventually fell madly in love with that awful Gilbert Blythe. They got married and had kids. Near the end of Rilla of Ingleside, a few of those siblings are talk about their brother Walter. “Realities never scared him,” one brother asserts, “only his imagination could do that.”

I am a little bit like Walter in that regard.
Reality does not scare me half as badly as my own imagination.
(Although reality can do a great job of priming my imagionation!)

* * * *


I've never witnessed a hanging
But in my imagination it is horrible
And it really really really bothers me.
I fear tonight will be nightmares night

* * *


I'm not trying to take a stance on capital punishment.
Nor am I going think about humane ways to kill people,
Or talk about Saddam's evilness,
Or debate about terrorist repercussions

I'm just saying -
The thought of being hanged is a scary thing.
If I watch, read, or listen to news tonight - there will be nightmares.