Thursday, June 01, 2006

THE DETAILS

As some of you already know, in 2003 I resigned from an awesome teaching position in West Des Moines to pursue a new adventure. My not-so-secret-dream was to get a masters degree in arts administration, combine it with my education background, and become the education director for a symphony orchestra (or Yo-yo Ma’s Silk Road Project). And so, on July 1, 2003, I packed all my earthly possessions, and moved to the northern tundra of Minnesota.

My grandfather was dying.
I had no job.
My living situation was less-than-ideal.
But I was determined to do this.

Those of you who have been following along at home know that I finished the master’s program last year, and have been doing part-time contract work while bemoaning my lack of a gainful employment. (And I was gosh darn picky! I wasn’t going to take a job at Starbucks or Target because I wanted a gig in the realm of education - without having to go back into teaching).

And that has (FINALLY) happened!

I have landed a job as the Education and Community Programs Coordinator with a mid-sized (and growing) performing arts organization. It is a new position and I’ll be in charge of growing several educational initiatives and managing existing programs. ‘Tis a lovely job, with a lovely organization, and I’m happy happy happy.

The word of the day is PACKING!
The gig begins in July - and I'm on the lookout for a cute little apartment.

Happiness abounds.

(As I said the other day, life is good!)