Tuesday, February 14, 2006

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Before I jump into my crazy-busy day (because it's going to be a crazy-busy kind of day) I thought I'd share a short little valentines day story (for your reading enjoyment!)

My grandmother has always gotten all her kids/grandkids a pair of socks for Valentines day (she'd wrap it up in pretty valentines paper and pass them out to everyone as fun little gifts).

Some people think that's weird, but it's not at all strange when you grow up with it. In fact, if you were a 9 year old who had always gotten socks for Valentines day, you might even think of it as a tradition.

I was in 3rd grade when I told Kristen U. that I had my "Valentine's Socks" on (They were cabbage patch kid knee highs - very cute but not very valentine-y). Kristen looked at me weird and asked what in the world I was talking about. "You know, Valentines Socks . . . (duh) the socks you get for Valentines day."

Kristen was one of those popular, smart kids (who could sometimes be a little bit mean). She made fun of me for weeks, and I learned the hard way that most people DON'T get socks for Valentines Day! (I really thought Valentines Socks were a part of the tradition, like Easter Eggs on Easter or Halloween Candy on Halloween).
Yes, Planet Julie is a strange little place.
(And Kristen U. is never ever allowed to visit!)

And, just in case you're looking for too much information - My grandmother mailed a pair of navy socks this year, complete with valentine wrapping paper! (And yes, I am going to wear them today!)
THE END