Tuesday, August 09, 2005

BOOK "RELEASE" PARTY

As some of you have already heard over email, I'm getting rid of some books to prep for the next stage of life.

I'd much prefer to give them away than hassel with selling them. So, if you, dear reader, are interested in any of the following titles, drop me a line (or leave a comment) and the book will be yours.

First come first served (and at some point I'm going to have to break down and sell whatevers left - so speak up soon!)


The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
Interesting book about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary - It is a non-fiction piece, but reads like a novel. Recomended.

A Tree Full of Angels: Seeing the Holy in the Ordinary
By Macrina Wiederkehr
I bought this used several years ago based on the recomendation of a stranger on one of my touchy feely email groups. (The moral of the story - don't trust strangers on email groups!)

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister By the author of Wicked -
This is a neat story, but I don't much like reading stuff written in present tense (it confuses me). SO I don't read and re-read this one enough to justify the space it takes on my bookshelf. Someone deserves to enjoy it.
CLAIMED by SR

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
Lots of other people liked it - I didn't. (Brown seems to think that abruptly changing stories is equivilant to a cliff hanger - it's not!)

CLAIMED (by my favorite practicing catholic!)

What Would I Believe if I Didn't Believe Anything?
(I'm going to operate under the the 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' principal here!)

The Gospel According to Peanuts by Robert Short
Got this for 2 cents at the Pella Library Book Sale - VERY USED, but it has lots of cartoons!

Ordinary People By Judith Guest
Another Pella Library Book Sale item - It's a nice book, kind of depressing at times, but definately worth reading once or twice!

Phaedra by Racine
Read in college. I think this is the one about the women going on a sex strike to stop a war - but I'm not sure. Maybe you could tell me after you read it!!

Anywhere But Here by Mona Simpson
A half price books book. It's a fiction book about a girl and her messed up mom. Good to read when you know you'll be interupted a lot (because it's easy to put down).
CLAIMED by SR

History of the United States Harvey Waserman
This was a mistake. I thought I was getting Howard Zinn's book - but I was mislead by an online seller (beware of online book sellers!)