Friday, July 08, 2005

FRIDAY POEM
Once upon a time, I rode the bus to school.
The "yellow limo" came to my stop around 6:30, and droped us off at Polaris High School at about 7:15.

This of course, was in the old days, when walkmans (the cassette kind) were still cool - and thus banned from school. Taking the threats of confiscation seriously, I left my tapes at home and used the morning bus ride to memorize amusing little poems. Playing with fun little poems was a great way to pass the time while my fellow riders brazenly listemed to their illicit walkmans.

(I finally got rebelious senior year and began sneaking the walkman on the bus just like everyone else, but tales of my rebellion are completely irrelevant to this story).

ANYWAY, NPR recently had an interesting piece about memorizing poetry, which has inspired me to start memorizing again. Right now, I'm thinking one poem every week or so, but that's a flexible goal.

The first challenge is a Langston Hughes piece. Anyone that wants to play along is certainly welcome to join me, quiz me, or suggest future chalenges!


As I Grew Older
It was a long time ago.
I have almost forgotten my dream.
But it was there then,
In front of me,
Bright like a sun--
My dream.

And then the wall rose,
Rose slowly,
Slowly,
Between me and my dream.
Rose until it touched the sky--
The wall.

Shadow.
I am black.

I lie down in the shadow.
No longer the light of my dream before me,
Above me.
Only the thick wall.
Only the shadow.
My hands!
My dark hands!
Break through the wall!
Find my dream!
Help me to shatter this darkness,
To smash this night,
To break this shadow
Into a thousand lights of sun,
Into a thousand whirling dreams
Of sun!

- Langston Hughes