Wednesday, May 25, 2005

SUMMER!
The current small-talk-conversation-topic-of-choice begins with the question "What are you doing this summer?"

I have a list!
(On Planet Julie, there is always a list!)

The Will Do List . . .
Work - VocalEssence would like me to stay through June to help with the transition of the new Education Director, and I'm THRILLED to do that. (The new Ed. Dir. is amazing and I'm ready to absorb everything she has to offer!) I imagine I'll be working fewer hours (because there's less work to do in the summer, and there will be an E.D. around to do most of what I have been doing). But there won't be any "official" vacation this summer.

Bicycle - My little town is holding a big riding event this summer and I want to participate (and enjoy the experience - so I'm training (and feeling very sore) with the hope that I won't be sore while pedaling 40 miles around my hilly little town!

Papa VW's Birthday Party - He's turning 80 in July, and we're having a huge party for him in Chicago. It'll be great to celebrate Papa, but I'm more looking forward to seeing extended family at a happy event (instead of a funeral). I'd love to drive down to middle Illinois to visit some friends (and maybe trek over to Indiana!) but that might be a little overly ambitious.

Girl Scout Weekend - It's like camp for grown ups! Of course there will be a lot of cutsey wootsey crafty annoying mothers running people around. (And I'll spend most of my time getting that bloody CPR cert). But I'll get to spend a few nights in my long neglected tent, walk through the woods, sit around a fire, AND see Ann Reed in concert!

The Symphony! - The Dakota Valley Summer Pops Symphony will be presenting several concerts this summer, and I get to play with them almost all summer (but not the concert that's on Papa VW's birthday - I do have priorities!)

Enjoy Myself - Take time to sit with friends, send emails, have a few small parties, visit my grandmother, read on the porch, talk, play with the dog, and stuff like that. (The stuff that makes life enjoyable, but that I forget to do!)


The Want To List . . .
Brain Gym Class - If I can convince myself to spend the money (and take time off work) I'll be spend a few days learning about the Brain Gym philosophy and program. (For no other reason other than I'm interested and want to learn!)

Find a REAL Job - or at least figure out a way to be a weight bearing member of society. (I could write a lot more about this, but will spare you!)

Grant Reviewer - I submitted an application to be a peer reviewer for the U.S. Dept. of Ed.'s "Arts in Education Model Development and Disimination" program. If selected, I will be a part of distributing $3.9 million of your hard earned tax dollars to schools creating arts programs. (Cool eh?) But they don't know how many grant reviewers are needed until all the grant applications have been submitted. (hopefully I'll hear something next week).

Walnut Grove - The first book I stayed up all night to read was one of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. (It was the summer before 5th grade). And while Anne Shirley has replaced Laura Ingalls as my "old fashioned" heroine, she still has a special place in my heart. Laura lived in a lot of places, one of which was Walnut Groove. Walnut Grove is only a few hours from here, and I'd love to take a day visiting the Ingalls museums and absorbing the ghosts of Larua. I'm kind of surprised at myself for not having already done this.


Your turn! (Because small talk is a two way street!)
What are you doing this summer?
Feel free to answer in your head, on your own site, or in the commments below!