Sunday, May 08, 2005

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW - Revised and Updated
Years and years ago, I read King Soloon's Ring which was written by Konrad Lorenz, a fella that literally lived with animals. It's a great story with some fabulously interesting information. It changed the way I watched the birds, squirles, dogs, and my cat.

When I moved here there were robins nesting outside the window - last summer I had robins and starlings (plus the duck family that lives in the pond) all congregating my my backyard. BUT the robin's eggs have never ever hatched (outside my window is probably not the best place to have a nest - it's a pretty high traffic area).

BUT THIS YEAR window disturbances were kept to a minnimum and at least two of the four eggs has hatched! Momma Robin has been acting weird all afternoon (yes, I've been "wasting time" watching a nesting bird - Konrad Lorenze would approve even if you don't!) AND . . . I just saw the papa robin bring a worm to the nest and two little beaks poked up from the nest to eat the worm!

Horray! Happy Mother's day to Momma Robin!

Everthing you need to know about baby robins
Watching these birds is spifferific - the parent birds just keep brining them worms, and they keep eating (I've even seen the poop sack - oddly fascinating!)