Thursday, May 05, 2005

NOW WHAT
Some people have asked
So here goes . . .

I like being Interim Education Director.
I love the connections I've made and the experience I've gotten.
I feel VERY LUCKY to have landed in the right place at the right time

The original plan was to hire a "real" (full time) education director by the end of March.

It's now May, and VocalEssence does not yet have an Ed. Dir. (Which has been lucky for me!) Right now, it doesn't look like they'll have anyone in place until June! (this is very good news!)

Alas, contract work as an interim education director barely pays the (already cheap) rent and it definatly does not pay the insurance. (Not to mention, June is just around the corner).

AND SO, in the words of Harry Smith, "Now What?" **

I've had several long long long talk with myself about life, my future, jobs, love, location, money, and careers. After some serious contemplation I've come to the following conclusions.

1. I like Minnesota - this is a fabulous place to live (although I wish they'd PLOW the streets when it snows!)

2. Starting over again in a new place is not appealing to me. In the past I've been willing (and excited) to re-locate. But I'm really not feeling excited about moving this time. I have friends, connections, and family here. This is truly the best place I've ever lived, and I'm not ready to leave!

3. Minnesota Teacher Licensure will cost $500, (Even though my current license is good in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and 7 other states, Minnesota does not recognize it. I had a temporary license the first two years I lived here -but they won't give me another temporary license unless I take $500 worth of tests to prove that I can read and do long division.

4. I would love to be a fine arts coordinator in the schools - I might even be willing to teach 50% if I could fine arts coordinate 50%.

5. I would love to be an education director and coordinate education activities for a cultural organization.

6. I would love to write curriculum for an organization that has an educational component (museums, retreat centers, professional development for teachers, student leadership, mentorship, girl scouts, etc.)

7. I would probably feel differently about moving if I landed the right job.

8. I donno the answer to "Now What?", AND SO . . . I'm applying for any job that sounds interesting (near or far, with a range of organizations/interests - including that position with Clear Channel which I didn't get.

9. A job would be really really nice!

** Harry Smith is a Central grad and gave a commencement speech titled "Now What" at my college graduation. The only reason I remember this is because there was a little kid that was just learning to talk sitting near me. This kid caught onto the phrase "Now What" and repeated it over and over while Harry was doing his spiel.
"Now What Now What Now What Now What Now What Now What"

I don't remember much of what Harry said. But I do remember the two year old kid sitting behind me!