Monday, May 16, 2005

Here's what I learned yesterday at the VE concert.

When the Tate Modem had their grand opening, they invited some poets to walk through the galleries, find a painting they liked, and write a poem based on the piece they selected. (The result was a beautiful book featuring prints of the artwork and the poems inspired by the work).

In 1987, VocalEssence commissioned Carrey John Franklin to write a choral composition based on the poems that came out of the Tate Modem project.

(Did you follow that, it's a song, based on a poem, based on a painting?).

Yesterday they sang the piece, With a Poet's Eye by Cary John Franklin. It was cool.

I don't have a recording of the song, but through the miracle of the internet, and program notes, I can share the picture, and the poem. Enjoy!
The Uncertainty of the Poet
I am a poet.
I am very fond of bananas.

I am bananas.
I am very fond of a poet.

I am a poet of bananas.
I am very fond.

A fond poet of 'I am, I am'-
Very bananas.

Fond of 'Am I bananas?
Am I?'-a very poet.

Bananas of a poet!
Am I fond? Am I very?

Poet bananas! I am.
I am fond of a 'very.'

I am of very fond bananas.
Am I a poet?

- Wendy Cope