Tuesday, January 25, 2005

TIRADE PART I
I was not going to get involved.
Too much of my life has been spent fighting loosing battles
And I wanted a break.
But this weekend convinced me that I need to fight for my girls
They need a girl scout troop - and so do I.
Withdrawing support because of a lack of adults won't solve the
problem - it'll just get rid of the issue.
This is what these girls need
(Or, maybe I just need it!)

TIRADE PART II
The thing that makes me angry is that if they were "underserved" and living in the city, there would be plenty of volunteers. But the good folks of suburbia don't see their underserved neighbors. Is it because we're all white? Is it because of the suburban stereotype? Is it because we're all too busy volunteering for our own kind (as PTA moms for OUR schools, or Soccer Coaches for OUR kids, or Sunday School teachers for OUR church)?

TIRADE PART III
There are two types of Girl Scout Leaders.
The "Troop Mother" kind - and the "Camp Counselor" kind.

The Troop Mothers Types are the ones that made cutsey little crafts, and worry about spiders. They swim in pools, not lakes, and worry about getting dirty.

The Camp Counselor Types are just a little strange. They don't bring flashlights (because most of the time you can see better without it, and if you REALLY it, you can borrow/steal it from someone). They will wear the same set of clothes for days and have been known to get a little too goofy. They eat twice as much as the troop mothers and sometimes push themselves (and the girls) too hard.

Troop Mothers are the most common type of GS Leader.
So people assume that I must be a Troop Mother.
I'M NOT!
And I wish those in the GS community would quit referring to me as a "Cookie Mom" or asking me which one of the munchkins is my daughter.

(Accolades, to balance out the Tirades, are forthcoming)