Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Last night = Girl Scout Night
There are actually two troops that meet in the same building at the same time. (Younger Girls and Older Girls). Younger girls lost their leader back in November. For a while, we tried combining them (age range K-7th grade - not a good situation!)

So, last night we quit trying to do the multi-age thing and split them; I took over the younger group and became . . . A Troop Leader (duh dun DUN!!)

As the "grown-up-responsible-adult" of a girl scout troop, I'm entitled to my very own personal copy of SafetyWise. (I know . . . you are all so very jealous!)

For the 85% of my readers without a girl scout background (and hence can not hear the dripping scarcasm!) Safety-wise is the book Girl Scout safety standards.

For example, if one wanted to make microwave popcorn with a group of girls, a leader would need to look up "Microwave Popcorn" in the Safety-wise book where we would learn that to safely make microvwave popcorn with the troop, one must ensure there is a water bucket within 3 feet of the microwave, provide protective eyeware to all participants, have two first-aid certified adults and one certified life guard supervising, AND require all girls to stay 7 feet away from the microwave while it is in use. (Yes, I'm exaggerating - but not much!)

Last night the younger girls and I flipped through their badge book to brainstorm activites and set a direction - they all wanted to do FACE PAINTING
UGH . . . . er . . . uh . . . I mean, "Great idea girls! Face painting . . . won't that be . . . uh . . . messy FUN!)

Cookie Sales start on January 15
Each box of sold cookies means we get 50 cents added to our face painting fund.
If you don't buy cookies, our troop won't have face paint
(And I won't have to deal with painted 6 year olds)

(Of course, this could just be clever reverse psycology
Maybe I really like the idea of face painting badge and I'm just tricking you all into buying extra cookies by pretending I don't want you to buy cookies . . . . I'm sneaky that way!)