Saturday, September 25, 2004

You may remember that my job with YA came about as a result of my internship with them. Out of the blue the executive director offered me a dinky little job as her assistant (the job has morphed with several organizational transitions, but my title and assistant-type work has not changed).

You may also remember that I spent 6-7 months applying for jobs this year (in an attempt to get out of The Little Academy) and kept getting rejection letters

What you don't know, is that last week, the education director at VocalEssence pulled me aside and asked me to stay on past my internship in a paid position which would basically be a continuation of my internship work.


This has put me into a bit of a tizzy.

Obviously it's nice to be liked enough (after only 2 weeks) for them to want to keep me.
And the extra paycheck would be nice.
But I really don't want the job.

I don't mind entry level work (or even intern scut work). But at some point I'd like to move up to do something that involves a little more brainwork.

Lottsa questions have popped into my head.
Why won't people want to hire me based on my resume? Why do people want to hire me after they've worked with me? Why do they want me in assistant-type jobs? Am I applying for positions for which I'm grossly underqualified? Has my forray into graduate school enabled me to be a secretary? Do I need to market myself better? Am I just doing the generation X whinney thing?

If I were to take this job, what does it mean for my future? Will a potential futre employer look at my resume and think I'm an "assistant" for life? Or will they see someone who has put in time at the low end of the totem pole and is ready to move up?

The other thing is the proposed VocalEssence job is only half time, so between YA, thesis writing, and VocalEssence - I'd be working way too many hours. (Actually, it's exactly the same number of hours I'm working now. But I can do it NOW because I know it is only going to last until December 13). Doing it until [question mark] is a recipie for burn out.

I'm sure the extra paycheck would be nice.
And it'd be good to keep my VocalEssence connection warm (and reference ready) for when the full time dream job comes along . . .

I donno.
It seems awfully premature for them to offer me a job so soon into the internship. (I mean, I'm going to be around (working for free) until early December - you think they'd want a little more "settle in" time before offering me a job that didn't officially start until January).