Saturday, September 11, 2004

COMMENT MEMORY (part 2)
Desiree' was the thrid member of my Chemestry Team, and one of the friendliest people at Polaris High School. My best "Desiree-Moment" happened in Geometry. I had gotten a less than perfect grade (significantly less than perfect) and Mr.GeometryTeacher wanted to meet with me about it.
Without any warning, Desiree' decided to save my grade. In a classic After-School-Special type intervention she invited herself to the conference and told Mr.GeometryTeacher that Julie "just hasn't been herself lately." She laid it on thick and really played up the posibility that something was truly wrong in my life.
It was obvious she was acting and I was trying very hard not to laugh at her, while assuring Mr.GeometryTeacher that I was OK. Unfortunately, holding back the laughter made my eyes water. Some combination of crummy grades, Desiree's story, the watery tears, and my adamant denial convinced Mr.Geometry teacher that something really was wrong -- and his whole mood changed.

Mr. GeometryTeacher offered a re-test, and graded VERY GENEROUSLY for the rest of the year. I could have killed Desiree' -- she wanted me to go back and play it up a bit more; And she had ideas - my brother could be in a comma, or my parents might be getting divorced. I had nothing to do with her scam - but she pulled it off. Mr.Geomentry Teacher was very nice to me (and to Desiree') for the rest of the year.
That girl was brilliant!