Wednesday, September 15, 2004

BECOME, BELONG, BELIEVE, AND BUILD
Girl Scouts of America have launched a new program called Studio 2B. It's aimed at 11-17 year olds and has a different feel from traditional girl scouts. Instead of the "troop mother" that leads silly craft activities, Studio 2B lets girls find stuff that interests them. Adults help *them* to plan/coordinate activities (or just hang out and talk!)

I like it.
At least on paper, I like it.

And I miss teaching. I desperately miss my kids. And I miss being a part of "something."

I've looked into several volunteer opportunities that could use my teacher skills, but none of them fit. (The comittment was too much, the location was a pain, or it just didn't excite me). But Girl Scouts . . . espically a Girl Scout program that encourages teenagers to DO things (and to hang out!) . . . I could do that!

So today I started the process of becoming a Studio 2B volunteer - it seems like a good fit between what I am, and what they need. (Even the location is a good fit!) We'll see what happens, but tonight I'm excited about the possibilities!