Saturday, July 24, 2004

Official Julie VW Review of Tonight's MN OrchestraConcert

I love going to the orchestra BUT . . .

There's this one violinist (let's call her "Snake Woman") that drives me crazy. Snake Woman slithers and slimes in her chair. She wiggles and taps her feet and is a hyperactive fool.

She sits in the fisrt violin section and it's impossible to not see her (because she moves like crazy). She's distracting and I wish she'd move on to a different orchestra.

It's not so bad when one has average or crappy seats, but the two times I've gotten good seats she's been VERY visible and very annoying. Tonight durring the Beethoven Overture she was literally jumping out of her seat and bouncing her feet in some kind of weird hemiola-super-subdivision. Snake Woman must die!

The Brahams Concerto was MAGNIFICIANT! I own two different recordings of this one (Issace Stern and Hilliary Hann) but hearing it live is absolutely incredible. Initally the balance seemed off between soloist and orchestra - - but I think that's just adjusting to a live perfomance (compared to a recording miked to accuncuate a soloist).
Wow Wow Wow. Standing ovation and three bows kind of WOW! Super Duper Amazing. (And the soloist stood infront of Snake Woman blocking my view of the wiggle worm- - THANK YOU Mr. Soloist!)

And finally, the New World Symphony (Dvorak). I don't think anyone moved at all durring the second movement - - it was one of those moments where you forget everything and become completely absorbed. Good Good Good Night (Missy and her friends in the Box Office ROCK! Thanks for GREAT tickets!)

* * * *


In other orchestral-type news, I applied for long term (3-4 month) internship with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. (Which concidently, just happens to have a generous FREE TICKETS TO INTERNS policy! My future friends Josh and Bobby also just happen to work with the SPCO!) I know you are all jealous - - so come visit me and I'll pick up a free ticket for you to come with me!