Monday, June 28, 2004

A Long Story You Probably Don't Care to Read (but I'll tell it anyway!) UPDATED

Contrary to the impression you may have gotten in the past few months, I did not resign from The Little Academy because of poor leadership, philosophical differences, or crummy policies. I left because my temporary Minnesota teaching license expires this year (I'm certified to teach in Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, South Dakota, and Arkansas until 2008 - but that means nothing in Minnesota).

Being a fully certified Minnesota Teacher would require taking English, Math, and Music Tests (each costing $200-300!) Ans it's just not worth the money for a part time job that I don't particularily like, when I don't even know if I'll stay here (or continue to teach). IF I could have taught un-certified, I would have stayed on at The Little Academy (despite everything) for another year (or until I landed a better gig). But the licensure thing kind of expiediated my departure from the land of education (or so I thought!)

* * * *


A few weeks ago I was reading the classifieds and came across a position for a Part Time Strings Teacher at a local hooity tooity private school. I said "interesting" and turned the page.

The next day, one of my Arts Admin. Buddies said to me, "I saw a job for you yesterday at "Hoity Tooity School"! I told her I saw it too, but it was too much work to re-do my resume. (I'm trying to become an Arts Administrator - not a strings teacher!) She told me to apply anyway (ugh!)

I didn't plan to take her advice. But out of curiousity, I looked at the ad again, and then followed up at their website. The website job description said

The ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge of both traditional and Suzuki curricula. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience teaching small group lessons and large group repertory classes, and will have directed elementary orchestras. The successful candidate must demonstrate the facility for developing positive, professional relationships with others in a school setting.


(For any strangers lurking through - that *is* my resume. The job description is actually a "Julie Description." It is such a perfect fit!)


SO I re-worked my resume to look like a strings teacher (instead of a struggling arts administrator) and sent it to "Hooity-Tooity Private School" (By the way, hooity tooity private schools don't require certification). I didn't know that I wanted the job, I didn't know that it'd be helpful to my future career aspirations. Besides, string players abound in these cities, they'd probably get resumes from a million qualified applicants. But I thought I'd just try and see what happened. Here's what happened (so far) . . .

They called me for an interview - which went well.
They asked for extra 5references - which they *actually* called.
Today, they called me for a second interview.

Maybe (maybe) I'll be a teacher for a little longer.
Part of me hopes this'll work out (it'd be fun to teach strings again!) Part of me worries that this will push back any Arts Administration jobs for at least another year (probably more). AND it means another winter in Minnesota (UGH!!!)
I could be very happy if they didn't offer me the job.

But it'd be nice to be an orchestra teacher again!


UPDATE - The second interview went incredibly well. Like I was the best, most gracious, talkative, impressive me that I've ever been. (Horray for me!)
The commute is long - - almost equal to the job time (it's very part time).

The person being interviewed right before me . . . was none other than Ms. Christoffersen (aka - the former collegue that just happened to show at Symphony last week.

I don't see her for well over a year - and in the last 8 days she has appeared TWICE

Weird, Weird, Very Weird.

Funny Story before I left WDM, I had Ms. Christoffersen write a recomendation letter for my credential file (-: (-: (-:
(Do you think she remembers? I wonder what she would say if she knew she recomended me for the job *she* wants?
It makes me giggle.