Saturday, April 24, 2004

Official JulieVW Review of the MN Orchestra Concert!

Nielsen Symphony = fabulous.
Cassazione = a whole lotta fun! (I wanna play that!)
Lunnator = pretty cool - but not as fun as Cassazione!
Ociandies = donno, I was still in a Lunnator/ Cassazione mode and eagerly awaiting FINLANDIA!

Now I know dear little Osmo is the THE expert on all things Sibelieus.
I know that his interpretation is supposed to be "correct" and I *should* have loved whatever he did with Finlandia

But I'm not sure.

It seemed too quick . . . and very crisp.
Crisp is good for the fast parts (FANTASTIC actually - very tight as an ensemble!) but it really didn't work in the lyrical section - - the passionate was replaced with military percision (and warp speed). I tried to like it - - I really did. Maybe if I heard it again . . . anyone wanna take me to the symphony tonight . . . anyone . . . anyone?