Sunday, March 21, 2004

Hermes is a doc in the second year of his residency. Here’s a tidbit from something he wrote last July . . .

Years ago, I saw life as a limitless tree of possiblities
branching out in every direction. I took college courses in
everything from philosophy to photography, Latin American
studies to guitar, physics to world literature, French to biochemistry.
Now my life has turned from sycamore to stunted bonsai.



Yeah . . . bonsai
Hermes is a wise, wise boy.
(And he writes well too – do yourself a favor and read the rest of the post)


Once upon a time, I was a mildly interesting person.
If nothing else, I could entertain myself.
But now I am gosh darn boring.

I used to go to the used book store and buy whatever interested me at the moment - - Science, Theology, History, Politics; I used to read the paper each morning, catch the occasional show, and actively read a dozen different e mail listservs; I used to think deep thoughts during the morning commute, play in the symphony at night, send amusing e mails to my friends, and have fabulous late night conversations. This little grad school adventure was supposed to make me more interesting. Instead, I’m drowning in a perpetual rut of arts administrivia.

Don't misunderstand; I like Arts Administration - Great people, great information, and great organizations - but if the “New and Improved” blog seems one dimensional, ("old and dis-improved"?) It is because I currently live a one-dimensional-bonsai-life.

Please hold on dear readers, I promise things will improve. April should be a comparatively light month, with time to sit, and read, and play around, and write amusing little blog entries. Things will get better; but in the meantime, you’ll just have to put up with these random quips and quotes (it's not that bad - - that Turkey Joke was downright hilarious!)