Thursday, October 02, 2003

Dear Governor Tim P. -
I'm a super teacher working in a high poverty school, please sign me up for your $100,000 teaching plan.

Love, JulieVW

I have A LOT of questions, and thoughts regarding the man's silly proposal . . . .

* Do you think a fabulous super teacher will be able to do their super teacher job in a classroom with 30 kids?

* Does "super teacher" have a way to ensure kids have a table or desk at home where they can do their homework?

* Will super teacher also teach each parent how to read so they can help their kids with homework (just like the suburban parents)?

* Can super teacher give each kid a permanant home address so they can get a library card (just like the suburban kids)?

* Will super teacher get special "super resources" for her classroom - (Or will she have to make do with a $100 steipdend like the "non-super-teachers"?)

I think the proposal is a silly little sound bite for a silly little news conference. I think Governor Tim has not talked to ANYONE who works in a high poverty school, nor has he thought about it at all. I think this will last about a week - and then he'll forget all about it.