Saturday, September 06, 2003

Diversity Does Not Exist?!

Maybe it's time to admit the obvious. We don't really care about diversity all that much in America, even though we talk about it a great deal. Maybe somewhere in this country there is a truly diverse neighborhood in which a black Pentecostal minister lives next to a white anti-globalization activist, who lives next to an Asian short-order cook, who lives next to a professional golfer, who lives next to a postmodern-literature professor and a cardiovascular surgeon. But I have never been to or heard of that neighborhood. Instead, what I have seen all around the country is people making strenuous efforts to group themselves with people who are basically like themselves. [more]

The Article bothers me - more comentary coming after I've thought about it a bit . . .

Commentary Update
It's no secret that I desperately want to move out of suffocating suburbia.
I SAY it is because I want more diversity, but the truth is I want to be around people who are more like me!! (Not in an ethnic sense, but in a values way (The Cultural Creatives). That's what I love most about taking classes with Arts Admin. folks - - I get to be around the kid of people who think and value the same stuff I do (Trees, The Arts, Stories, NPR, great discussions, cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate . . . ).
It's an uncomfortable realization.
To truly value diversity - I guess I'd have to stay put in yuppie-ville - - YIKES!!