Sunday, August 10, 2003

From Greg Sandow's site
When I find a classical station, I usually can't bear to listen. Too tame, too smooth, too much old music. But if I found a station that played Todd Levin, Ani diFranco, blues, and Madonna (plus some Ibrahim Ferrer) . . .

They could even slip in some Beethoven (maybe one of the symphonies, in a bracing Roger Norrington performance on old instruments, with whipcrack timpani). And wouldn't that be better for classical music in the long run? I wish it wouldn't be presented on the radio like some cult of meaningless refinement (or, in more modern style, as bright and perky). I wish instead that it showed up as intelligent fare, right next to all the other things intelligent people, out there in the real world, really listen to.
more here

YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!!