Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Here's a spiffy party trick - I can pass out, just by touching my thumb!!
My thumb, by the way, had a mirror fall on it this morning, which caused a nice cut and complete numb-ness. When I poke the numb part - I get dizzy (and then faint - - not cool)!

I've never fainted before - - at least not until today when I passed out twice in a three hour time frame!!

The urget Care Doc seemed really concerend, he mentioned something about a cut nerve, and sent me to the emergency room

The ER doc didn't seem to care. He told me I was fainting from pain (duh. . . I felt no pain -the whole thing was NUMB!!) He said it wasn't possible to cut a nerve, and gave me 5 stiches. The ER nurselistened in, and later said it could in fact be nerve damange (because people aren't always built the same) He was a terriffc nurse, who explained everything . . . .

Long story short - Next week I see a hand surgeon. If it isn't nerve damage, then the numb-ness will heal on it's own. If it can be fixed, it's just as easy to do it next week as it is today. BUT . . . it's also possible that it can't be fixed, and if that's the case, it's just as unfixable today as it would be next week - - in which case I'll have a numb thumb with a damaged nerve forever. (gulp) In the meantime, I'm trying not to freak out, faint, or play horrible "what if?" games.

Typing is a long, slow, one handed process at the moment - - so things might go quiet from my end for a bit.