Friday, July 25, 2003

Continuing with the "Thoughts From a Bored Person Who Can't Write" Mini-Series . . .

* Back when this war started, Saddam Husein released a photo of a dead US solider to the media � and the US said that violated the geneva convention. HOWEVER, when we kill it's ok to release photos of dead people???? WHY WHY WHY WHY????? What if "they" killed the Bush twins and released pictures of the dead bodies?? (yuck!) If we have to play war, can we at least play fair?

* Most of my life I've been striving to be a perfectionist. But I'm thinking it might not be worth the effort, and maybe I should quit. In an unintentional experiment, a lot of projects and some people recently got less-than-my-best; and nothing bad happened. (Almost no one noticed!!!) My current lazy thinking is "Why put extra energy into doing best work, when half hearted work gets the same results?" My inner perfectionist disagrees, but I'm ignoring her right now. This "chill out" mode has allowed me to come to terms with some stuff that never would have happened otherwise - and it feels kinda nice.

* Summer Sausage should always be sliced thickly, not thin!

* I can never be a freak (at least not an intentional freak!!) I'm just too self conscious to dye my hair purple or something. But I'm not "normal" either. I love being with, and talking to, and learning from the folks with purple hair with a marginal sort of lifestyle (Generally, normal people aren't as interesting or fun). Part of me wishes I could change to be one of those "interesting" people, but interesting people would recognize a poser right away. On the other hand, I'm just as much of a poser in the "normal" camp too (but normal people aren't as good at detecting phonies - it's easier to fit in there - as long as ones hair isn't purple!)

*Everything's cool for another year (two good jobs, and another 2 semesters of classes). Life seems well planned. But I'm going to have to make some big decisions before next summer (like do I want to stay at my current jobs or find new ones, or start a new career. Do I want another degree - in what (and where?) Do I want to bother with a residency and thesis writing or just quit after the course work is finished? There are a thousand ideas in my head, some of which make sense, some that don't. Some involve running away - I like those plans the best!!