Sunday, June 15, 2003

Dead Music ?? The working title of my thesis is "The State of the Symphony". Old people are cyring that Classical Music is in trouble because audiences as dying off, and kids today don't like Bach, so there won't be anyone around to buy tickets - blah blah blah. They are wrong, and, (after examining both sides of the issue) my paper will prove it! (a mini version of the paper will be avaliable in a week - mark your calendars!) But maybe my topic is too narrow, because critics are now declaring that Rock Music is also Dead!!

Though it gives me no joy whatsoever to say it, I've become certain that rock is in its last days. And I've started to believe that the subgenre that appears on the surface to offer rock its best hope for a full recovery is actually nothing more than a sign that death is nearer than anyone had thought. I've begun to believe that the far-reaching and seemingly endlessly expansive subgenre of rock-based experimental music is simply a function of the sickly old art form examining its life . . . .