Monday, January 13, 2003

I got this quote tonight from my Cultural Studies (???) Class -- I LOVE IT! (It's a really good blog quote - don't be surprised when you see it incorporated into my template someday soon!!!)

Originality does not consist
in saying what no one has ever said before,
but in saying exactly what you
are thinking yourself.


(I'm not going to attribute this to anyone - because according to my Google Search - - at least 5 different people can claim this as their own - since I'm not going to list all of them - I"ll just "forget" to give a citation!!!)

We talked a lot about creativity tonight (elements of creativity, antithetical traits of crativity, the creative process and being in "flow" - - I think I'm going to like that part of this class - - I've been thinking a lot about creativity recently and this seems to naturally come out of that.

The part I'm not going to like is the "Panoramic Historical Arts Review" (A historical, chronological method has GOT to be the most boring way to study the arts) The course objective is to expand my arts horizions enough that I'd be comfortable enough to take a job in an art gallery or with a dance company - - but it'd be so much more fun to go disipline / subject approach instead of historical approach (I really can't get that excited about the any art form of the antiquity - - but I can get excited learning about photography or sculpture!!!) Yeah yeah yeah I know the historical context is important (and I like history - but not sluggling through millions of years of old old old stuff!!) Whine Whine Whine.

Next week an arts critic is going to come speak to the class - I think I'd like to be an arts critic (you'd get great tickets to all the concerts, shows, and events!!!!) I think my creative side shows up best in my writing - but it's SO DIFFICULT - so I don't think I'm going to be a writer (although I tend to end up in position or groups where I end up doing the writing . . . ) Maybe in my next life it'll get easier and THEN I can be critic!!!!!