Friday, October 18, 2002

AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! We had a technology "training" today. AAGGHH! I endured the painful two hour process, but it wasn't pretty. They hired a professional from some Ed Tech consulting firm to come speak. OH MY!! OH MY OH MY OH MY!! I think I lost 15 IQ points during the presenation! The woman said "uh" 28 times in five minutes (I counted!) I didn't count all the "you knows". One would expect a professional consultant/ speaker to have overcome "you know. . uh . . problems"!

She told us how to "copy and paste" into a word processing file, and then how to use a search engine, then we did a mini lesson in groups (my group was quite surprised to see my evil- sarcastic-this-is-a-waste-of-time-side) . The technology "standards" she presented were so vague and broad that it seems pointless to even have them, and we wrapped up by talking about things students and teachers need to know about technology (I totally zoned out at this point and began memorizing the poem I'm going to recite Tuesday. It is one of many Public Speaking Exercises "Mr. Writing Teacher" piled on us for this week. (We get to choose our own poems, but they MUST take 60 seconds to present.) I found a cute little poem full of violence and rhymes!! I'll make sure to post it this weekend - after I've memorized it (I'm very close - between that awful training, and a half hour traffic jam, I have 5 of the 7 stanzas learned - so I suppose today was not a TOTAL waste!)